TikTok is a social media app focused on sharing content in short video format. Developed by Chinese company ByteDance, it was first launched in September 2016 and has grown to become one of the most downloaded apps worldwide.
TikTok allows users to create and share videos of up to 60 seconds, adding music, special effects, filters and other features to make them attractive. The videos are usually playful and entertaining content, and cover a wide range of genres such as dance, humor, beauty, fashion, sports and much more.
History of TikTok
TikTok started its story as an app called Douyin, launched in the Chinese market in September 2016. Its success led ByteDance to launch TikTok for international markets in September 2017.
These are the most relevant dates of the subsequent evolution:
- November 2017: TikTok surpasses 200 million users and 1 billion videos viewed daily in China.
- July 2018: TikTok becomes the most downloaded app in the world on the Apple App Store.
- August 2018: ByteDance buys Musical.ly, another popular short video app, and merges it with TikTok.
- 2019: TikTok surpasses 1.5 billion downloads globally on the App Store and Google Play.
- 2020: TikTok faces controversy and potential bans in several countries, including the United States and India, due to security and privacy concerns.
- 2021: Despite controversies, TikTok continues to grow in popularity and becomes a crucial platform for pop culture, trends, and digital marketing.
- 2022: TikTok reaches 1 billion monthly active users worldwide, consolidating itself as one of the most popular social networks.
How TikTok works
Using TikTok is relatively straightforward. After downloading the app and signing up, users can start browsing existing videos or create their own content. To make a video, users select a song or sound and then record their video, which can be edited with a variety of tools and effects before being shared.
The main feature of TikTok's interface is the "page for you", where videos are suggested to users according to the platform's algorithm, based on the user's previous interactions, such as the videos they have watched and how they have interacted with them.
Advantages and benefits of TikTok
TikTok offers a number of advantages and benefits for users, such as:
- Creativity and personal expression: TikTok offers users a platform to express their creativity and personality through short videos.
- Discovery of new content: Thanks to its algorithm, TikTok constantly suggests new videos to users based on their previous tastes and behaviors, which allows you to discover new trends, music and creators.
- Fostering interaction and community: TikTok facilitates interaction between users through comments, likes, shares, and the use of duets and stitches to interact with others' videos.
- Growth opportunity for creators: With its huge user base, TikTok offers a great opportunity for content creators to reach a broad and global audience.
TikTok reviews and controversies
Despite its benefits, TikTok has also been the subject of criticism and controversy. Some of the top concerns related to TikTok include:
- Concerns about data privacy and security: Due to its Chinese origin, there have been concerns about how TikTok handles user data and whether it could be accessible by the Chinese government.
- Inappropriate content and content moderation: Although TikTok has policies and tools to remove or restrict access to inappropriate content, there have been cases of videos violating these policies still circulating on the platform.
- Addiction and mental well-being: As with many other social networks, there is concern that excessive use of TikTok can lead to addiction and have a negative impact on mental well-being, especially among younger users.
TikTok Ads: Advertising on TikTok
The TikTok platform is not only a space for entertainment and creative expression for users, it has also become fertile ground for companies' marketing and advertising strategies. Through TikTok Ads, brands can reach a wide and diverse audience of active users around the world.
What are TikTok Ads?
TikTok Ads is the official advertising platform for making PPC on TikTok, which allows companies to create, implement and manage advertising campaigns on the social network. Businesses can use different ad formats to promote their products or services, increase their brand recognition, or drive traffic to their websites.
Types of ads on TikTok
TikTok offers a variety of ad formats to meet different marketing objectives, including:
- In-Feed Ads: These ads are displayed in users' "For You" video feed, allowing brands to integrate organically into the user's browsing experience.
- Brand Takeover: This is a full-screen ad that is displayed when a user opens the application, offering high visibility for the brand.
- Hashtag Challenges: Brands can create custom hashtag challenges to engage users and encourage content creation around their product or service.
- Branded Effects: Brands can create custom augmented reality filters or effects that users can use in their own videos.
Benefits and challenges of TikTok Ads
The benefits of using TikTok Ads include the ability to reach a large global and especially young audience, the ability to authentically engage with users through creative and engaging content, and the opportunity to leverage TikTok's powerful algorithm to target ads to the most relevant users.
However, there are also challenges. To succeed on TikTok Ads, brands need to understand and adapt to the platform's unique culture and changing trends. In addition, measuring and analyzing ad performance can be complex due to the dynamic and ever-evolving nature of TikTok.