Keyword Planner is a free tool offered by Google Ads. It aims to provide relevant data and information to help create more effective ad campaigns in the Google environment. The Keyword Planner can be especially useful for identifying keywords for SEO and PPC (Pay-Per-Click) campaigns, offering insight into the frequency of searching for specific keywords and the competition around them.
Keyword Planner Features
Keyword Planner offers a variety of features designed to help identify and select the most appropriate keywords for a campaign.
- New Keyword Research: Keyword Planner provides keyword suggestions based on terms or phrases entered, a website or a product category. This can be especially useful when you're developing a new campaign and need keyword inspiration or ideas.
- Keyword Analysis: In addition to providing suggestions, Keyword Planner offers data on the performance of keywords . This data includes search volume (the number of times a keyword has been searched in a given period) and competition (the number of advertisers who are bidding on a keyword).
Using the Keyword Planner
Using Keyword Planner is a fairly straightforward process, although it requires a Google Ads account. Here are the basic steps:
- Go to Google Ads and select Keyword Planner from the "Tools & Settings" menu.
- Choose between "Discover new keywords" or "View search volume and forecasts".
- Enter the relevant terms, URL or product category and click "Get Started".
- Analyze the results and select the relevant keywords.
Advantages of Keyword Planner
Using Google Keyword Planner has several benefits:
- Detailed keyword information: Keyword Planner provides data on search volume, competition, and keyword trends.
- Keyword idea generation: The tool offers keyword suggestions, which can be useful for generating ideas for new campaigns or content.
- Geographic and temporal data: Keyword Planner allows you to break down keyword data by location and by month, which can be useful for local or seasonal campaigns.
- Performance estimates: Keyword Planner provides performance estimates for selected keywords, including clicks, impressions, and cost.
Limitations of the Keyword Planner
Despite its advantages, Keyword Planner also has some limitations:
- Search volume data is provided in ranges, which may be less accurate than exact numbers.
- Keyword suggestions are primarily focused on commercial terms, so it may be less useful for non-commercial content.
- Although the tool is free, it requires a Google Ads account, which can be a hindrance for some users.